Last March the Harris family took their first trip to Walt Disney World. When it was time for dinner the family ordered their food and sat down to eat. Four year old Isaiah Harris' chair was wobbly causing him to grab for the table to prevent a fall. In the process he caught the tray the food was on and the nacho cheese flew on to his face resulting in burns to his upper lip and other areas of his face. The lawsuit declares that Disney makes no effort in regulating and monitoring the temperature of the nacho cheese that was being served to young children. A specific request for damages was not indicated in the lawsuit.
The Harris family has since made an effort to resolve the case outside of court but was unsuccessful. They saw the need to hire an attorney and sue the entertainment company for negligence. Isaiah's parents, Michael and Maria Harris, are concerned that Isaiah will permanently be scarred as a result of his burns he suffered from the scalding nacho cheese.
According to the National Safe Kids USA campaign, children 4 years old and younger "are at the greatest risk of burn related death and injury, especially scald and contact burns." Safe Kids USA also states that in the greater part of children who have suffered from scald burns it is typically due to hot liquids or foods spilled in the kitchen or other places where food is prepared and served.
Family sues Disney when hot nachos burn son, Sign On San Diego, February 11, 2011
Chula Vista couple suing Disney over hot nachos, 760 KFMB AM Talk Radio, February 11, 2011
Family sues Walt Disney World after claiming son, four, was scalded by flying nacho cheese, Daily Mail, February 14, 2011
Preventing injuries: at home, at play, and on the way, Safe Kids USA, 2009